Picture of the Month
15/07/11 04:54 Filed inPic of the month
This photograph by Poplar photographer William Whiffin shows a Truman’s brewery dray outside the building which was erected in 1927-8 but there had been a tavern here called the White Horse since 1690 or earlier.
The pub’s claim to fame was that in the mid-eighteenth century the licensee was a woman, Mary East (1715-1780), who lived as a man called James Howes and lived “as man and wife” with a woman friend.
The pub was pulled down a few years ago to make way for a housing development. However the remarkable inn sign in the form of a horse made from lead on a post thought to date from the early to mid eighteenth century survives.
Image courtesy of Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives